New York Registered Agent Service
What is a New York registered agent?
A New York registered agent is a resident, LLC, or corporation that maintains a physical address in New York and is willing to accept service of process and official mail on behalf of a business. According to the New York state code (N.Y. LLC. LAW § 302), the agent must be able to accept any notice, demand, or service of process required by law to be served on the business.
Why do I need a New York registered agent?
- The state requires all registered businesses to appoint one.
- The registered agent requirement exists so the general public and the NY corporations division have a reliable way to contact your business.
Important note: New Yorkers love us because we save them thousands in publication costs every day. A New York statute requires LLCs to publish a summary of their articles of organization in two newspapers in the county of their principal office address. When New York clients hire us, they can use our Auburn location as their principal address so they can publish in the Auburn newspapers, which are much cheaper than New York City newspapers. Clients can later change their principal address by filing an amendment or certificate of change and spend far less than they would have paid for publishing in any NYC newspaper.
Why your life will be better if you hire us:
- We can save you money: New York’s registered agent requirement is odd. All domestic and foreign businesses (LLCs, corporations, LLPs, nonprofits, etc.) must designate the Secretary of State as their registered agent. It is free to do so, and in theory may cut down on costs, but if your business is sued, do you really want to rely on the Secretary of State to deliver sensitive documents in a timely fashion? Even if your answer is yes, and you have formed a limited liability company in New York, you are required to publish a notice in a local paper. This can easily be a $1000 in NYC. If you hire us, you can use our address to form your company and publish at a much cheaper rate in Auburn. It’s a no brainer.
- Call us! We’re here to help with the business registration process. When you have a question, just call. The people who answer the phones don’t read from scripts or try to sell you anything—we’re just here to help.
- Free tools. We don’t just send you a bill for providing registered agent service, we offer all the corporate legal forms you need to maintain your LLC, nonprofit, charity, corporation, LLP, or any other type of New York business. You only need to enter your information once, and use that data to populate all kinds of corporate forms like annual meetings, amendments, and new registrations in additional states.
Who needs a registered agent in New York?
Anyone registering a New York LLC or New York corporation needs to designate an agent for service of process.
What do New York registered agents do?
A New York registered agent will:
- Accept documents on behalf of your business in New York and get them to you fast.
- Have a registered office in New York. That means they need to have a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in state where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail.
- Keep normal business hours.
What are the requirements for New York registered agents?
Whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC), C-corp, or S-corp, the state of New York requires the same from its registered agents:
- An NY registered agent must be a state resident or an LLC or corporation that provides registered agent services.
- New York registered agents must maintain a registered office (a physical address in New York).
- NY registered agents must accept legal documents (service of process) during regular business hours.
- There are other fees and requirements to do business in New York as a LLC or corporation
Where is Rapid Registered Agent’s registered office in New York?
We accept and scan all of our New York clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Auburn, NY.
After you accept service of process, how will you get my documents to me?
When we accept a document on behalf of your business we will scan the docs from our Auburn office within minutes to your online account.
Can I have my business’ mail delivered to your New York office?
- We are not set up to receive all your businesses mail. Its just not what we do, but we will help you if we can.
- Since you don’t have a lease at our address, the postal service might not even deliver your mail.
- Official mail and notices come addressed to us, care of you. So we receive all the important things just fine.
How do New York registered agents get served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you receive the documents your New York registered agent signs for on your business’ behalf, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. You need a New York registered agent you can trust. Here is what happens when we are served with a lawsuit in NY:
- A process server, sheriff, or third party will walk into our auburn office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- We scan the document to your online account, immediately triggering our notification system.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Do I hire a registered agent before or after I start my business in New York?
The NYS Division of Corporations will reject your business registration filing if you don’t designate a registered agent. As we mentioned, you may designate the Secretary of State as your agent for service of process, but there are so many benefits to choosing Us! You’ll have a reliable registered agent, you can publish in Auburn, and you’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.